Tracfone: Games and Browser

I have a Tracfone. I don't use my phone much and it was the cheapest phone I could find for my scenario: I don't want to deal with a monthly bill and I don't use it much.

Last December, I replaced my physical phone because my phone was old and just not clean. I have serious health problems. I am on the street to get well. Cleanliness is a high priority.

I stayed with Tracfone and kept my same number and moved my remaining minutes on my old phone to the new phone. Thanks to some sale, I got a tiny little smart phone for the first time ever. However, until very recently, I never used it for anything but the occasional phone call and to receive text messages from various services, including Bing Rewards and my Google account.

Because I use it so little, my minutes tend to accumulate. Maybe a couple of weeks back, I had around 460 minutes and decided to play around with the browser, see if I could get some additional usage out of my phone and my minutes.

I figured out how to check my email on my phone. This has become something I use once a day or so. I tried once or twice before to figure out how to check my mail and couldn't get it to work. This time, instead of trying to use their email app, I used the Opera Mini browser.

With playing around with my phone, I learned that you can buy games on it for minutes instead of money. Last night, I bought Tetris for 44.91 minutes. Their conversion chart tells me that is the equivalent of $4.99. But it is $4.99 I could not really otherwise access.

The version of Tetris on my little tiny phone is better designed than the version of Tetris I had on my tablet at one time. I have a neurotic tablet that I got at a steep discount, apparently due to a design flaw that most middle class people would not put up with. The design flaw creates a data bottleneck that requires us to be really picky about the apps we keep on it.

So, the only game I have been playing in recent weeks is Free Civ. But, I have trouble seeing the screen if it isn't dark outside yet. With it being late May, I am routinely "home" (in my tent at camp) well before sunset and I have been going a bit stir crazy waiting for it to get dark enough for me to do stuff on the tablet.

I am thrilled to have a new gaming option to help me keep my sanity while on the street. Bonus: It is essentially free because I never use all my minutes anyway.

As I get healthier and stronger, I am slowly getting more of a life. I thought I would get off the street, then get a life. But it is starting to look to me like first I will come back to life, and that will get me off the street.