The Cost of a Poverty Mentality

I have a lot on my mind. Our laptop died about two and a half weeks ago and our tablet has power supply issues. This tablet has always had power supply issues and we have replaced the cord and plug repeatedly.

Our most recent efforts to resolve cost $25 plus tax. It got better for a bit, but it did nit resolve it.

I am in deep doo doo financially this month and I don't know how we will make it through this month, but it is possible to get a brand new tablet for under $50 these days. This tablet originally cost around $80. I have probably spent about that much again trying to resolve the power supply problem.

In the process, we learned some useful things, which I have blogged about here, such as getting a higher amperage plug and turning on Airplane Mode in the evening to conserve power. But this morning the tablet is currently not gaining power at all. It isn't losing power while plugged in, but it isn't gaining.

I just had an article of mine accepted. That doesn't resolve my financial problems for this month, but I have decided that I am not spending any more money on this neurotic tablet. I plan to replace it this week, even if that means going hungry later in the month.

I am feeling really threatened by my current situation. I need internet access to earn money and things are crazy making right now. But I am not going to keep throwing good money after bad. This tablet will get replaced, and then I will deal with the financial mess somehow.

The problem with a poverty mentality is that it slowly bleeds you financially without resolving anything. My son looked it up and this brand of tablet has a track record of power supply problems. The tablet itself is defective. Getting the perfect power supply won't really fix it.

Yes, I get that sometimes actual poverty means you genuinely can't afford more than a cheap short term fix for the problem. This is exactly why I recently spent another $25 on the issue: it was $5 here and $10 there and then another $10 when that plug was not really good enough.

And now I am back to using the cord part from my cell phone charger because the $5 cord we bought apparently has a kink in it already and is not working reliably. I am not spending another $5 here on yet another cord. This is the second time we have had this type cord. They do not last.

But I am done with being nickeled and dimed to death by this defective tablet.