Virtual Mail

There is a recent comment asking about this on How to Get a Street Address for Your Mail. I have been meaning to write it anyway, so here it is:

If you do a search for "virtual mail" or similar terms, you can come up with a list of providers. If you aren't in San Diego and/or do not care exactly what city your address is from, you have plenty of options. Here is a short list of options I bookmarked when I was doing my research:

Ask HN: Any digital mail start up still alive?

There are a few advantages to having a virtual address:
  1. You can check it online instead of having to go physically in person.
  2. You can keep the same address while moving around. One of the advantages to being homeless is the ability to leave and go elsewhere at will. A physical mail address interferes with that. A virtual one does not.
  3. When I was still in San Diego County, the $19.95/month this cost me was cheaper than the physical mailing address I had for a time. (I had a physical mailing address in Fresno for $15/month, but I think I was paying about $30/month in northern San Diego County.)
If you specifically want a San Diego address, the only provider I found was Traveling Mailbox. I paid $19.95 a month for a San Diego address with them. (They do have a non San Diego address option for a few dollars less.)

I started my account using PayPal. I now have it paid using a debit card. I really like the service and they have been great, but I will say that you need to make sure that you set it up from the get go on a date where you can be confident of having the money to cover it.

I ended up jumping through hoops to eventually get my billing date changed. They were always very cooperative, but it took a bit to get all that straightened out. That had to do with me setting it up for 4th when I got my alimony anywhere from the 3rd to the 6th, basically.