Holidays

Some of the big holidays involve a lot of things closing. This can be an inconvenience when you have a middle class life. When you are homeless, it can be very problematic. I feel most acutely homeless on major holidays when it can be challenging to find a place to get a hot meal.

Denny's is open 365 days a year. That has been our default in the past for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Most other holidays aren't so bad. But even a lot of grocery stores close on Christmas,  including the one we typically go to daily these days. (I am no longer in San Diego County, but I am still homeless.)

We don't want to hike to the nearest Denny's for Christmas day this year. We plan on stocking up on snacks, drinks and food items like beef jerky. My sons would rather just have cold food for one day than make a long walk to an unfamiliar Denny's. I feel the same.

However, I also found a nearby Starbuck's that will be open until 5 p.m. on Christmas day. I called and verified their hours and verified that I can get a hot egg sandwich any time of the day, not just in the morning. My sons do not want to go to Starbuck's. They are a lot harder to feed than I am. They will drink hot cocoa at Starbuck's, but that's it. They don't drink coffee, and they won't eat the food there.

So, I will go by myself, try to plug in and get a little time on the Internet, have a hot coffee and a hot sandwich. I printed a $5 Starbuck's gift card from Bing Rewards to help cover what is a bit of a splurge for me.

I also went to this Starbuck's on some previous holiday when the library was closed and I needed very much to do something online. I think that may have been the 4th of July, a day when government buildings -- like libraries -- close but stores mostly stay open -- except Chipotle. It closes 6 times a year and July 4th is one of those days. It closes early on Christmas Eve (3 p.m.) and is closed Christmas Day. I used to eat at Chipotle daily and that caught me off guard a few times. These days, I only eat there about once a week, so it is less of a problem for me than it used to be.

We often call big holidays "Fuck You, Homeless People Day." I feel less fucked by the holidays where I currently am. There is a large park with public bathrooms and picnic tables and I am in a bigger city currently than I was when I was in La Jolla and Carlsbad. I am benefitting from "the city never sleeps". It does sleep, but it sleeps less than smaller towns.

I usually spend my days in a public library, doing freelance work and trying to develop my websites, etc. When the library closes for a major holiday, I feel uncomfortably aware that having no place in particular to be is potentially problematic when you are homeless. But it has been less problematic here lately, in part because I know what I am doing, in part because I am in a better location.

So, it helps to be in a bigger city. It helps to be aware that a holiday is coming up and start checking the holiday hours ahead of time. Stock up on essentials before stuff closes. Have an idea of where you are going to spend the day. Know what bathrooms you will be able to access.