So Called Site "Funding"

Recently, I received a really cryptic email that asked: What is your funding source?

I was puzzled and replied in brief that I take PayPal and I have AdSense ads and asked why they were enquiring. I have not heard back, but after replying, it occurred to me that I might need to add a statement to the site clearly indicating I am an actual homeless person and I actually struggle to get enough to eat every month and the only "funding" sources for the site are tips via PayPal and Google ads, neither of which amounts to much. The site is not profitable and it certainly doesn't have some kind of bias or conflict of interest from fancy-pants funding sources with some sort of agenda.

I feel like I have said this repeatedly, but if not: I started the site for myself, solely to keep track of information I needed from crappy, disorganized, error-filled paper handouts that I was getting from various services. Like many homeless people, I have a very serious medical condition. In my case, papers make me ill and I wanted to throw out the papers I was carrying, so I created a little blog via a free blog service where I began making note of information I needed and then throwing out the damn papers. I continue to blog in part for my own purposes, in part in hopes of helping others.

If the site looks slick enough to have some kind of high falutin funding, well, hey, I do have a certificate in GIS and I do have six years of college and I did work for a Fortune 500 company at one time. I am neither stupid nor incompetent. Like so many Americans, my extreme poverty grows largely out of my serious medical condition. Thanks.

So, basically, the site is unfunded. I wish it were profitable. It isn't. I sometimes think there is a direct correlation between how desperately poor I am and how stupidly generous I am. I have a long history of giving away my time and expertise for free. But I also have times when I feel that is largely coincidence, without some kind of cause and effect relationship.

Do what you want with that info.



Update: One September 8, 2017, I got off the street (and wrote about it here). As of July 5, 2020, I have removed ads from this site. My Patreon and tip accounts are now listed in the sidebar of the landing page.

The target audience here is actual homeless people who can't afford to support my work. If you are homeless, please don't stress about that detail. If you can support my work, please do. You are doing good for not just me but also for other people that the world has largely abandoned.

I occasionally do a bit of editing on this site, but it no longer gets new content per se. It was archived not long after I got off the street. Once in a while, I do things like update the sidebar, add links to existing posts and edit for grammatical errors, typos and so forth.

New content on the subject of homelessness can be found on other sites of mine, such as Street Life Solutions.

Last updated July 5, 2020.