Site History and the "brand name"

The site didn't begin with any intention of helping other people. I just wanted to track some info for myself in a way that made sense for me, because I was getting a lot of paper handouts from homeless service centers and papers make me ill. Plus, those papers often had inaccurate information in them, with incorrect street addresses or incorrect dates and times for things and so on. So the site really started as something to help me cope with being homeless in downtown San Diego and very ill.

When I first left downtown San Diego, I left a "goodbye" note stating that I would leave the information up for others, but did not plan to keep developing it. I did that in part because the site listed resources for downtown San Diego and I was leaving and I had no plans to go back. So I didn't see any way to keep developing it when I was homeless and no longer in the downtown area.

However, after moving to the North County (what people in San Diego County call the northern part of the county) I returned to developing it with the idea that it could be a resource for homeless people in all of San Diego County instead of just the city of San Diego. Then I moved to Fresno. I never put any Fresno specific information on the site. Instead, I began writing much more generally useful information.

I have since gotten off the street by moving out of California. I have been sharing the site as a general resource for homeless Americans for a while now. I am currently reorganizing it to make it easier to distinguish generally useful information from California specific information.

Just like Boston Market is a brand that you can find in places other than Boston, you should think of the site name as kind of the brand. The emphasis is increasingly on generally useful information for homeless Americans. Information specific to San Diego or California is being left up, but it is increasingly being curated to more clearly distinguish it from generally useful information on the site.

Updated: November 7, 2017 and September 11, 2019.