Money and Your Headspace

When we first began recycling, we were mostly using reverse vending machines in front of a grocery store. On the edge of the parking lot of this grocery store, there was a homeless guy's hidey-hole amidst the bushes. Like many homeless men who are on the street alone, he seemed to drink pretty heavily.

One day, not long after we began recycling, my son went in and cleaned out his empties to make a bit of money from recycling. He did that a few more times but there was never as big a stash again and after a week or two, my son stopped finding empty cans even though there were still empty cardboard boxes from six packs and cases of beer. In addition to the empty cardboard boxes from beer, he began seeing a lot more food wrappers.

We kind of suspect that this guy learned something from us cleaning out his empties and began recycling himself. With this, he apparently began drinking less and eating better, probably in part because he had more money but possibly for other reasons as well. For one thing, for some homeless individuals, I strongly suspect that drinking is done in part to simply fill empty time and recycling is something that can fill your time but does so more constructively. For another, collecting recyclables tends to involve a good bit of walking and the exercise can stimulate appetite.

So we suspect his life improved because we cleaned out his empties. We suspect he began making a bit of money, eating better, getting more exercise, and spending less time drunk. And we suspect it had this positive effect not simply because it gave him more money to spend but because it gave him more money in a way that also enhanced his sense of dignity and agency.

I have had the thought before that, at this point in time, I think I would rather panhandle than go back to downtown San Diego and rely on homeless services again. I have serious health issues and I am on the street to get myself well. I have done a lot of research and I know what works and eating well is a big part of that. Soup kitchens are not a good way to take care of my health problems. Eating well helps me stay off of medication and out of the Emergency Room. It just does not make sense for me or anyone else to eat crap and then go see a doctor for drugs and emergency treatment.

But I have been very reluctant to say that on my blog because I am not really comfortable with promoting panhandling. I don't want to be judgmental. I have alimony and food stamps and not everyone on the street has something like that. The amount I make from recycling is only supplemental. I don't think I could support myself that way, even if I tried. But I see other homeless people making a lot more than I do, so I guess it can be done, even if I don't think I can do it.

So while I think it would make more sense for me to panhandle if I ran out of other options, I also think that seeing yourself as a "charity case" who can't really contribute to the world has a negative impact on how you manage your life. I think one of the good things about recycling is that it is earned money in some sense (even though it is not really earned money as far as my annual tax forms are concerned -- I do not get a 1099 for my recycling income). It is something you can work at which has value for the world and can be monetized. The sense of dignity and self determination it can afford someone who sees themselves as "a charity case" is possibly more valuable than the money per se.

As much as possible, I am trying to figure out how to earn a living for myself. I have had people encourage me to apply for disability. In spite of having a serious disability, I don't think I can prove that I qualify for disability payments but, also, I want a life. I feel like getting a disability check or similar kinds of aid simply does not end up buying the same kind of life that an equivalent amount of earned income ends up buying. How people relate to the money they have -- how that money relates to their headspace -- significantly impacts how they use that money.

I am not saying that in order to reinforce any negative feelings you might have about yourself if you are on the street and getting food stamps or disability or the like. I am saying that in hopes it helps you find empowering solutions so you can live a better life at some point.

Peace and best of luck.