Supplies

I started this post ages ago and never finished it. Here are some of the things I carry:
  • Ziploc Bags: Good for storing leftover food, protecting items from rain (like tampons or a cell phone), and helping to keep things clean. Quart bags will hold a 7" tablet but you will have to put the plug in a separate bag. One gallon bags will hold a 7" or 10" tablet with plug. Two gallon bags can hold a small laptop (store the cords separately). But I have not found two gallon bags recently. However, I have found 2.5 gallon bags.

  • Peroxide: I am on the street to get well. So I carry a spray bottle of peroxide at all times and a refill bottle. It is a cheap disinfectant. It is a nontoxic bleach substitute and can bleach out your hair and clothes.

    Spray peroxide is available at Walmart and CVS Pharmacy. It is cheaper at Walmart but I have bought it at CVS Pharmacy when that was in walking distance but Walmart was not because the difference is less than the cost of a one day bus pass. Walmart, Target and Ralph's have had the cheapest refill bottles, under a dollar for the large (32oz?) bottle. You need to buy the spray bottle or add a spray nozzle to a brown peroxide bottle. Peroxide biodegrades into water when exposed to light, so, no, you cannot transfer it to most other spray bottles.

  • Plastic Cups: I routinely buy 2 liter sodas and other drinks. They are cheaper. I share with 2 other people. We are careful to not share germs. I have seen other homeless people drink from the same beer can and had someone willing to share their tea with me that was hours old and they had been sipping on it all day. This is probably how things like tuberculosis spread through the homeless community. If you think you cannot afford plastic cups, then you surely cannot afford medical bills. Don't share germs with other homeless people. A lot of us are very ill. It is an extremely bad policy. You can get a few cups for a dollar (plus tax) at a dollar store.

  • Oral Care: I used to get toothbrushes and the like for free from homeless services. These days, I get a five pack of toothbrushes and a mid sized tube of toothpaste from a dollar store for a dollar (plus tax) each. I also often have dental floss on me. I use a toothbrush once and throw it out.