Widowmakers

Last year during the rainy season, I kept relatively dry and warm by pitching my tent under a lovely tree that offered shelter. This year, I happen to be surrounded by bushes but there are no trees providing coverage above the tent. This is purely happenstance and not due to plan.

Yet, in recent months, I have learned that there are some species of trees in San Diego county that will drop limbs during drought conditions. I have even witnessed this. Some of the limbs were extremely large -- as in I thought it was a tree that had fallen over initially, before I realized it was a tree limb that had fallen off the tree next to it.

So I am thinking that sleeping under a tree is potentially dangerous. I will suggest you avoid it (unless you know more about the flora and fauna here than I do and can identify which trees do this -- I can't).