Beware of Habits

I normally spend much of my day at the library.  I walk the same routes over and over and do a lot of the same things.  I think I am a creature of habit for the most part.  But with no computer and the library full of sick people, I have been recently spending my days at a public park instead.

Before I arrived at the park today, the two people I am on the street with were questioned by the police this morning.  The police apparently thought they were newly arrived in the area and were shocked to hear we have been here a few months. We apparently only made their radar in the last week or two.  We do not look obviously homeless or sound obviously homeless.  There are probably people who realize we are homeless because they see us routinely and we do things like collect recyclables but the police had not previously noticed us. 

There have been at least two robberies locally in the past week that I know of.  They are apparently having a local crime wave, so I guess are checking the homeless more aggressively.  I have income, enough to eat most of the time, just not enough to get off the street.  I am not a criminal.  But I am not happy to have made the radar of the local police. I now have a local mailing address and would like to settle in this area.  I am unsettled by this new turn of events, though it seems we are okay for now.

So beware of habit that make you look obviously homeless.  It can attract the wrong kind of attention.