Oral Health

I just bought 6 toothbrushes for $3.99 in a valuepack from CVS Pharmacy. I also picked up a travel size toothpaste for $1.19. I had a coupon for $1 off and I had $3 CVS rewards bucks. So I paid a total of $1.59. It has me thinking of oral health tips generally for this blog.


Edit: These days, I generally get a 3 pack or 4 pack for $1 plus tax at a dollar store, like The 99 Cent Store or Dollar Tree. I also get the occasional free toothbrush from homeless services I attend or free toothpaste. When I pay for toothpaste, I typically get it at a dollar store as well. Dental hygiene doesn't have to be super expensive. When I was in downtown San Diego, I mostly got my toothbrushes and toothpaste for free at various services and sometimes got free dental floss as well, though I always had to buy the special stuff for flossing under my bridge.


I have a bridge and a long history of dental problems and other health issues. I carry dental floss at all times, the special (expensive) stuff that works for flossing under a bridge. I do not normally carry a toothbrush. I treat toothbrushes as disposable. I use them once and pitch them in the trash after. When I was in downtown San Diego, I mostly got toothbrushes for free from various homeless services (Rachel's, God's Extended Hand, impromptu giveaways in the street). These days, I try to pay less than $1.50 per toothbrush. I typically brush teeth about once a week. I floss a bit more often than that.
Even when totally broke, I at least tried to rinse my mouth with clean tap water daily in some bathroom. The salt and minerals of ocean water can also help oral health a lot. I try to go to the beach semi regularly to soak up the minerals. My oral health benefits from that (as well as my general health).

It is important to stay on top of oral health and general health while on the street. Eating clean is part of that. Do not eat out of trash cans or dumpsters. Do not share a drink with another homeless person by drinking from the same bottle or can. I carry plastic cups at all times. If I share a drink, I pour it into two cups so I am not also sharing my germs. Homeless populations are vulnerable to tuberculosis outbreaks and other serious health consequences from very poor hygiene while on the street. There are things you can do to protect yourself. Make sure you do.