Casual Income

With no rent, utilities or car, life on the street can be fairly cheap but you still need at least a little money. Even if you are getting plenty to eat for free and enough free clothes, you will run into situations where you need something in particular and it just isn't available for free anywhere. Until you get a (better) job or other big solution in place, you still need to cope day to day.

Here are a few options I know of for getting a little cash:
  • Panhandling: I have never pan handled. I don't know how. I suck at things like that. From what I have seen, you need a cup, hat or other container for the money. Most folks seem to make a cardboard sign. From what I gather, where you do this matters in terms of how much you can make. I have heard of people making $20 or so in a day. This might be a situation where looking obviously homeless would help. I have also seen some folks do this as a street musician gig. (I am not musical, so I haven't tried that either.)
  • "Canning": This is the street term for collecting recycables for money. Because of my medical situation, I did not do this for a long time. I recently began doing it carefully, on a limited basis. Digging in trash cans for empty cans and bottles is unclean and I can't do that but I have started recycling my own bottles and picking up a few extras from the side of the road if I am on my way to the recycling center anyway. (If you dig through trash cans, I suggest you wear medical gloves or use empty plastic bags for protection or otherwise be careful and/or use a cheap disinfectant like peroxide afterwards.)
    I have talked to people who made about $25/week doing this part time. I was told that if you find a good area to work and have a good day, some people make up to $100 for an exceptionally good run. At 5¢ to 10¢ per item, you would need to collect between 1000 and 2000 pieces to make $100. On the upside, it pays cash and gratification is as close to instant as you can get.
  • Freelancing online: When I am well enough to work, I make a few bucks doing this from time to time. I earned about $838 last year. Not enough to get me off the street but definitely enough to make a difference in my life. Some sites I know of:
  • Rachel's: If you are female, some of the chores at Rachel's pay a little money. They do an orientation once a week. You have to sign up in advance. You have to commit to the work for a week.
  • Selling Cigarettes (to other homeless people): I do not smoke, so even when someone gave me a few cigarettes to sell, I was really lousy at this. The going rate seems to be 25¢ each or 5 for a dollar.