Finding Road Money

When my bank account was locked up for about 3.5 weeks and all I had to live on was food stamps, I still needed the occasional item not covered by food stamps and not available for free through any programs. During that time, I was very dependent on found money (I don't panhandle -- I just don't have that skill). So I got a lot better at finding change on the street.

Here is what I learned:
  • Some streets are more likely to have change than others. Fifth Street, parts of G and some of the areas with restaurants and the like were better places to look than areas with other types of businesses or more residential areas.
  • Parking meters are a good place to look for change, both around the base and on top of them. Some folks just leave pennies because the meters don't take them and they apparently don't want to be bothered.
  • I learned to walk closer to the street/curb area. I got better at finding change in the gutter next to the curb and even out in the street itself.
My average take went up from around 30¢/day to around 50¢/day. I was able to get some critical items at The 99¢ Store on Market for $1.08. This made a huge difference during an especially challenging time on the street.