Gaslamp Quarter Street Grid

A lot of the services for homeless people are in the historic Gaslamp Quarter, which means most of it is a grid developed in probably the late 1800's. I don't have it all memorized but I get around on foot, so it is important to me to have a fairly good general idea of where I am going. Some tips that help me:
  • Numbered streets: The numbers get larger going west and smaller going east. The I-5 freeway appears to be where 18th street once was. On one side, is 17th and on the other is 19th. Park Street = 12th.
  • Lettered streets:The lettered streets are broken up by random street names. The following helps me: A,B,C, broaDway, E, F, G, Market = H, Island is for I.
  • The Alphabetrees: When you go North of A, the streets are named for trees and seem to in alphabetical order, but from south to north instead of north to south. The ones I know: Ash, Beech, Cedar, Date, Elm, Fir.