Notary Public

I have had things notarized while on the street. I did so at two different places in the North Country. One was a Postal Annex in Carlsbad. I cannot recall the name of the other place. My experience has been that googling this is not very helpful. If you know of a business that handles mail, such as Postal Annex or UPS Store, they often have a Notary Public on site. It typically costs about $10.

There are times and places when you can get free notarization, such as from a bank. However, this is typically only available for free if it is related to their banking services. While homeless in downtown San Diego, I heard rumors that I could get it for free from various homeless services, but I don't think I ever actually got such for free on the street. Here is my original very disorganized post about that experience, written when I was still very ill and pretty mentally impaired by it:


I need something notarized. I have been told Triple Cross does this for free on Mondays at the Neil Good Day Center but they have cancelled the last two weeks in a row. I have been told the Presbyterian Urban Ministries on Market Street does this on Wednesday mornings but you need to be there at 8:15am. Another homeless person told me there is a notary at the check cashing window at the trolley station on 12th and Imperial. I checked. There is. But it costs $10.00. I had 96¢ at the time. The same homeless person told me I can go to any bank and get it done for free or for a dollar or less. I wandered into Chase bank today and asked. They do notarize stuff, and probably for free as a courtesy to their customers, but they only notarize things related to Chase bank business, which is of no help to me. I am not surprised and I assume this is par for the course. I also passed some kind of business today that advertised they notarize stuff. I did not bother to ask. Clearly, this is a service they charge for. I need free if at all possible. I will try to make it to Presbyterian Urban Ministries.

I no longer recall what I needed notarized (or thought I needed notarized) when I first wrote the above, nor how that was resolved.