Address Verification Challenges and Modern Software

Someone left the following scaremongering, histrionic comment on my How to Get a Street Address for Your Mail


The USPS now offers psychical addresses. However, there are now computer softwares used by creditors and also cell phone carriers when activating a phone, that have the ability to recognise a physical RESIDENTIAL STREET ADDRESS vs a SPECIFIC physical BUSINESS ADDRESS. If you do not provide an "acceptable PHYSICAL RESIDENTIAL STREET ADDRESS," your appl will be rejected.

Some ppl are even saying their bank made periodic verification of their "residence" address while they were on extended vacation abroad, and sent them a letter to provide their "current residence" location or their acct would be closed in 30 days!

Apparently, banks and other businesses must comply with Homeland Security anti moneylaundering and anti terrorism enforcement laws.

Things have changed. You either live in brick n mortar and be forced to choose between rent and food, or never get credit not even.a loan to repair or replace your four wheeled "house."

I am currently off the street. I got off the street a bit over two months ago. Ironically, when I tried to apply for a store credit card after getting off the street, my application was rejected because the apartment building I live in could not be verified to be a residential address.

When I was still homeless and using a street address from a mail box service, my Starbuck's account clearly stated the name of the business where I rented my mail box. However, I never had a problem with my bank.

I am not saying there is zero merit to the above comment, but I am deleting it from the page in question because I don't feel it is really helpful. I feel it is more like a scare tactic. I don't know if this is a homeless person who is upset and can't figure out how to make things work or if this is some homeless hater just trying to crap on people who are homeless. Homeless haters do exist. I don't get it. I can't imagine being that warped. But whatever.

So, be advised that you may run into issues with a mailing address, but it isn't universal. Some organizations readily recognize that a mail box is actually a mail box and not an apartment. Ironically, some government organizations I dealt with did not appear to have this capacity. Starbuck's was the most up to date organization I ran into with regards to this issue and they did not care that it was a mail box and not an actual home.