Mission Statement: Helping Homeless People Keep Their Freedom

Slavery is alive and well in America: Tampa homeless program uses unpaid, destitute residents as steady labor force, revenue source

"Thank God we have these events... They bring in the prime finances."

But not for the workers. They leave the game sweat-soaked and as penniless as they arrived. The money for their labor goes to New Beginnings. The men receive only shelter and food.

This is part of why I have never stayed in a shelter: Not only can beggars be choosers, but my personal agency -- my ability to make decisions on my own behalf as a free person -- is the single most valuable thing I have. Shelters typically want to take at least some of my freedom away and, to at least some degree, treat me as less than a full adult with rights and so forth.

I haven't harped on it on this website, but the resources I emphasize here are resources I found useful to me as someone intent on keeping as much of my independence as possible under very difficult circumstances -- and even increasing my independence and self-reliance so I can someday have a real future. I want a future and I can't have that if I let someone else treat me like their property and make decisions for me.

So I encourage you to get a free meal if you need it, get free clothes if you need them and so on, but, if at all possible, keep your independence. The weather in San Diego County is lovely most of the time. Usually, sleeping outside is not a terrible experience. With a little practice, it is not very hard to keep yourself comfortable at night. Please don't let anyone take your freedom (and make you sign over your SSDI check, food stamps, etc.) in the name of "helping" you.



Above all, homeless people need agency and any program that tries to take your agency is one you should walk away from while you still can.


Addendum: This type thing is still going on to this day: California church locks up homeless people and makes them panhandle, feds say

Last updated September 11, 2019.